Some nights when I’m lying down in my bed and letting my mind wander
free, I realize tears running down my cheeks. But it’s weird…these tears don’t
come from something that happened that made me sad, or mad, or even angry. They
just seem to appear out of nowhere….and so I usually ask myself questions as if
I’m the only thing visible in the dark silence, “why is life so complicated? Why
do I have to make it so hard for myself?” Often I think about school and why I couldn’t
just shoot for the “average” student—“why do force myself to do all the extra
work when I could get perfectly good grades without doing it?” And since
probably more than half of my life right now is devoted to sports, I usually
ask myself questions like, “Why are you spending your weekend trying to become
a “perfect” pitcher when you could easily let the other two girls on the team
do all the work?” It’s almost as if I force myself to go beyond just a base
player in softball, but to devote my Saturdays into doing all this extra work
that seems to do nothing but give me cramps, bruises, and get me extremely tired.
Often I fall asleep thinking, “what’s the point?”
As I’m reading Ishmael Beah’s memoire, “A Long Way Gone” it not only made
me feel incredibly mad at myself for thinking about my life being hard but it helped me in my understanding to why I must
push myself so hard in everything that I do. “A Long Way Gone” is the true
story of Ishmael Beah who became an unwilling boy soldier during the war in
Sierra Leone. When he was twelve years old his village was attacked which left
Beah, his brother, and his friends wandering village to village in search of
food and shelter. This becomes a day-to-day struggle both in their hearts and
physically to survive. Although I’m not that far into the story, I find it so
incredibly unreal that such a thing could happen to a twelve year old—though it’s
filled with heartbreaking honesty.
On page 54 when Beah is all alone in the woods and letting his mind
wander free, he begins to think about his father saying, “If you are alive,
there is hope for a better day and something good to happen. If there is
nothing good left in the destiny of a person, he or she will die.” However this
quote is not where I got hit by a strong realization. It’s what Beah had
written after that that really stuck with me. “Those words became the vehicle
that drove my spirit forward and made it stay alive.” In life—or anyone’s life
really, you have something—big or small that keeps you going. This reminded me
of a book I just recently finished a couple months ago, “The Art of Racing in
the Rain” by Garth Stein. It’s told from the point of view of a dog named Enzo.
At one point in the book he figures out that life, like racing, isn’t simply
about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can
successfully navigate the vehicle even when there are bumps along the way. For
me, I think that I could end up in a dangerous situation wanting everything to
be perfect and all, but I guess that’s just a part of who I am….pushing myself
hard in everything is what gives my life purpose. If I were to stop pitching,
play a piano piece “at my level” and start writing blog posts that meet
standards, sure I would still get good grades and play good music….but for me that’s
not enough. However if I were in Beah’s shoes and had lost basically everything—even
my family—I think that I would also hold onto my memories and find even the tiniest
things in life to keep me going so I wouldn’t slowly fade away like black
watercolor when it hits paper—so I would still have purpose in my life to keep
going with a linger of hope for tomorrow.
Later on page 69 Ishmael Beah writes, “One of the most unsettling things
about my journey, mentally, physically, and emotionally, was that I wasn’t sure
when or where it was going to end.” This reminds me of my first cross country
race at the beginning of the year. I felt like I just kept running and running
and at each strait-away I thought it was the finish but it never was. I felt
like it was going on forever and would never stop which made me want to slow
down for a while. I am not the type of person who gives up easily but I have to
say, that was probably one of the closest times I have been to giving up in a
long time. Then Beah writes, “To survive each passing day was my goal in life.
At villages we managed to find some happiness by being treated to food or fresh
water.” Again, Beah is finding even the smallest things in his struggle to
survive to keep him from a drooping sunflower lacking a drop of water.
If I were in Ishmael Beahs situation, I think I would also hold onto the
little things throughout my daily struggle for survival to keep my burning soul
alive. Within the depth of this story I seem to have discovered the cold tiles
of heartbreaking truth and meaning. I have also found the fire burning in my
soul and the wood that keeps it burning red, roaring, and alive. The wood may
be hard to get and may give me many scratches while gathering, but if it’s what
keeps me going in life, the scratches are worth it.
Hi Sophie! This is amazing! I love the beginning and it really ties the piece together. I do exactly what you do, and reading books like that kind of makes me ashamed of myself. We take things for granted that we shouldn't and we have so much more than so many other peope do. I also read The Art of Racing in the Rain and I agree with you. Great post!
ReplyDelete