I am currently
reading The Book Theif by Markus
Zusak which is probably one of my favorites—SO FAR. I feel that there are many
books out there with great plots, themes, characters, and all the other good
elements that make a “good” book. So lately I have been asking myself “what’s
so special about this story? I mean, I’m actually really surprised that I’m
beyond the point where I’m completely in love with this book because I’m really
not a history person…this book is basically about a girl who is seperated from
her communist parents and has to live with her foster parents during World War
2. Just this topic makes me want to turn my back in disgust. So after pondering
upon this idea, I brought myself to a couple main points—and not only do these ideas
help me understand why I am in love with this book but they make me
think on a somewhat deeper level on how fear plays a major role in how we, as
humans, build a sort of wall blocking our ability to see things from a different
perspective—the eyes of someone else that could eventually help us understand something
more about ourselves.
I know this might
seem sort of confusing at first (I mean, I was completely lost at the beginning
of the story trying to figure out who the narrator was) but Death is actually narrating the entire story from a diary
Liesl wrote. This diary that Death found when he was taking her soul away at
the very beginning of the story seems to be a detail that enhances the entire
plot—it allows us to see what Death has to say about humans because no matter
how many human-like emotions he seems to have, he obviously is the complete
opposite of what we consider “human.” I have never thought about this before
but is Death haunted by humans as much as we are haunted by death? At the
beginning of the story when he is taking Liesl’s soul he tells us that the most
painful part of his job is "the leftover humans…the ones who are left behind,
crumbling among the jigsaw puzzle of realization, despair, and surprise."
Personally, I found this part really depressing because if you think about it,
although he may not be an actual human being, he does have human-like emotions
but will never be able to fully be a part of humanity.
At one point in the story Death tells us that if we want to see what he
looks like, we should “find a mirror.” I love how at this point he allows us to
infer…“what does this mean? How could our appearance have anything to do with
Death and what he looks like?” At least those were my thoughts when I first
read that line. I feel like once I considered the fact that Death feels like he
will never be a part of humanity, I was also able to understand the meaning
behind these words a little better. So basically he’s saying that all humans
die so we all look like death. I think Death is really brave telling us that he is in fact united with
humans (since it’s something he fears) and we are a part of one of (generally
speaking) our most deepest fears—death. One reason why I think this is a brave
thing to say is because we, as humans, tend to pull away from the things we are
afraid of. Sometimes we act like they don’t exist and try to hide our fears.
For example I used to be afraid of the dark and instead of confronting that
fear and deciding to try one night in complete darkness, I in some ways, “hid”
my fear for darkness by using a night lamp. On the contrary, we might also hide
ourselves from our deepest fears.
Maybe you were afraid of the boogy-man and hid under your blankets when you
were little. Honestly I never thought about this before reading from the prespective
of Death in this novel. An example of this is when Hans is hiding a Jew in his
basement. I can assume the Jew is in hiding because he is afraid—he’s afraid of
Death. I find this, in some ways (now after reading this book), is kind of
obsurd. I mean, as I mentioned earlier, we are united with death so how could
something that essentially make us human
make us hide from it?
Now I want you to think
about any time in your life where you have felt scared—maybe it was the boogey
man that you were convinced would crawl into your bed during the night or maybe
is was that selfish, mean, know-it-all snob that made you feel nothing but small
and worthless…whatever your fear may be, ask yourself first why you are afraid of it. Then ask
yourself what were the methods you used to push that particular fear out of
your life. I litterally could go on and on and on and on about this book and I (legit)
cannot express how much it has deepened my understanding on this topic. Please,
please, please comment below if you have any thought, ideas, or thought-provoking
questions!!
I think when death says to look in a mirror to see what he looks like, it means we will all die some day. It could also be humorous and mean that humans look like death, meaning we look bad. It could also mean that Death simply looks like everyone.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. I LOVED this book! And in the last 2 paragraphs, where you talk about why we are scared of death and how we don't need to be, it reminds me of a quote I heard at camp 2 years ago. I think it was something like, "Many people, when faced with a near death situation, are not scared of dying, they are scared of living". I think that this is true. We have no reason to be scared of death, but many of us are scared because, for example, you hear someone in the house when you are alone, and you are terrified of dying. I don't think that it is the fear of dying that is so scary, but the fear of living after an experience that you could've died in.
ReplyDeleteHey Soph, I think that your blog post was amazing, and really, really thought provoking. I think that when Zusak decided to have death be a narrator was really interesting because I think it was meant for people to ask why would he do this? I think it's because it makes people wonder about Death, and as Grace said with that quote what does death really mean? What does he look like? I think it shows how real everything really is in the book, because no matter what, death is always something people notice and pay attention to.
ReplyDeleteThat was a really great blog post! I think that on of the reasons the author chose Death as the narrarator was also because the book takes place in a time when many people were dying. It was very unique choice. I think that when the author says that if we “find a mirror,” we will see death, he means we all have the potential to die and we will all die eventually, so we will see death, sooner or later.
ReplyDelete