One reason why Mercutio is my
favorite character is because although Romeo is rash, Mercutio stays his true
friend. Ultimately, all Mercutio wants is for there to be peace between the
Montagues and Capulets. In Act 2 scene 1
when Mercutio is the first to see that Romeo is deeply in love, he calls for
Romeo saying, “Romeo! Humors! Passion! Lover!” Then he says, “My invocation is
fair and honest in his mistress’ name.” He doesn’t want him to marry his
mistress (Juliet) because he knows that the Montagues and Capulets are each
other’s enemies and it will only cause trouble between the two families. I love
this part because Mercutio is obviously expressing his concern to Romeo which
isn’t always an easy thing to do. Have you ever felt like what your friend was
doing or thinking was wrong but you never said anything because you didn’t want
to get into something you weren’t involved in? Well if you think about it,
Mercutio isn’t a Montague or a Capulet so even though he knows that Romeo’s
love for Juliet will only cause problems in the end, he still tries to pull
Romeo out of the situation he’s in and tries to help him understand. From past
experiences, I know that this isn’t always an easy thing to do because although
it might not seem like it, it takes courage. This is one reason why I admire
Mercutio.
Another reason why I admire Mercutio
is because even after Romeo says in Act 2 scene 1, “A gentleman, that loves to
hear himself talk and will speak more in a minute than he will stand in a
month.” (Romeo just doesn’t get the warnings Mercutio has been trying to tell
him because love has already overcome him and taken over his thoughts.), he stays
a true friend to Romeo. Mercutio shows loyalty and courage when he fights
Tybalt to defend Romeos name in Act 3 scene 1. As Tybalt stabs Mercutio,
Mercutio says, “A plague o’ both your houses!” It’s not until Mercutio is dead
that Romeo realizes the consequences of his love affairs, thus making Mercutio’s
death a major turning point in the play.
All in all, Mercutio is the bravest, funniest, most interesting, and overall my favorite character in the play so far. What I admire most about Mercutio is the courageous loyalty he has for Romeo. He foreshadows many important events and his death marks an important turning point in the play as the tragedy develops and the fates of the protagonists darken.
wow Sophie!!!!! that was a very inspirational post and i loved it. i agree with you and i think that Mercutio is definitely an important loyal friend to Romeo.
ReplyDeleteHi Sophie! i definitely agree with both you and Jada. I think it was interesting how the advice he gave to Romeo, had romeo actually taken and used it, would have saved a lot of troubles. He warned romeo about Juliet, telling him to wait, and that he was being rash. he warned him that he was acting on a whim, and was not thinking it through. When he died, that it seemed, was the turning point, the climax of the play
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Mercutio is definitely a very important character and it is unfortunate that he dies. He is indeed very loyal and I think that loyal friends are the ones that matter the most because what is a friendship without effort and commitment to remain friends? Anyway, it is a sad event, Mercutio's death, but in a way perhaps it was a necesary event for the story to reveal its darker side. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHiya Sophie!
ReplyDeleteI really loved this post, and I totally agree-- Mercutio was/is a fantastic character in this play. He is an extremely brave, honorable person, and an extremely good friend. I feel like in many many movies and books, the one character who is a really great person always has to die, or move away, or leave the story somehow, and I think that was definitely Mercutio in this play. This often happens because, like you said, it's a real turning point in the play, and often causes the protagonist to have a realization of some sort.
Really, really nice post! :)
great post Sophie! I definitely agree with you that Mercutio was a very confident and loyal friend of Romeo's. Mercutio's death has been a major turning point in the whole play because it provoked Romeo to kill Tybalt and I also think that Mercutio's loyalty to Romeo is the most important quality to him. I also sometimes don't want to get involved in someone's fight because I feel like I might make things worse, bu Mercutio had the courage to warn Romeo that his affair might have a bad ending.
ReplyDelete