Sunday, February 10, 2013

Do NOt Go Gentle into that Good Night

In the poem “Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night” by Dylan Thomas, he uses rhyme scheme, repetition, similes, and metaphors to convey his message. After unpacking this poem, I think Dylan is trying to say that people should accept death and even when they’re getting close to it, never let it take away the energy needed to continue living life to its fullest.

The first thing I noticed Dylan used was repetition. I think he used this technique to not only bring a strong point the reader, but to make the reader think “why?” For example, Dylan repeats the line, “Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night” in stanzas 1, 2, 4, and 6. He repeats “Rage, rage against the dying of the light” in stanzas 1, 3, 5, ad 6. This helped me realize that throughout the poem he repeats “light” and “night.” When I think of night, I think of darkness, death, or some sort of ending. Maybe death is meant to symbolize these things? I also feel like light is meant to symbolize happiness, goodness, a new beginning, and this idea of an “inner light.” Now after unpacking this, I think that what Thomas Dylan is really trying to say is do not die without fighting for the light. I also think this relates to the other line “Rage, rage against the dying of the light” since death could substitute in for the dying light. Throughout this process of unpacking, I noticed that Dylan uses symbolism throughout the repetition to give the poem a somewhat deeper meaning.

The second thing I noticed while reading this poem was that Dylan Thomas uses similes, metaphors, and personification to help convey his message. After unpacking this poem I realized that that what Dylan was really talking is death and that you should fight against it—but I also feel like death is a symbol itself that represents something or an idea that you know is wrong. So when Thomas says “Rage, rage against the dying of the light” (death), does he mean something more than just fight against death? When looking at this line in context to the poem, it sounded like he was trying to say that you should stand up for what you believe in and using death as an example seemed like an easy way to get his message to the reader. Death is a symbol that gives this poem a deeper message.

The last this I noticed were the metaphors Thomas uses in this poem. One that really stood out to me was, “Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight/ blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay.” This metaphor is referring to men who lived their lives at the fullest but they still rage against the “dying light” because they see their lives could have been more. Even those men who were wild (mentioned in stanza 3 of the poem) realized too late the meaning of their lives but this is no reason for them to fade away. Dylan Thomas uses descriptive imagery within his metaphors to help convey this message.

In conclusion, Dylan Thomas uses repetition, similes, metaphors, and imagery to convey a very important message. After unpacking parts of the poem, it seems like there are two similar messages Dylan is trying to bring to the reader. One is that people should accept death and even when they’re getting close to it, never let it take away the energy needed to continue living life to its fullest. Another similar message I found was that people should fight for what they believe in and not let their fears get in the way of this because if they don’t there will eventually come a time when they’ll realize it’s too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment