Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Little Things Cut


I am currently reading the book “Looks” by Madeleine George. So far (in the first 40 pages) this book is about two girls who are struggling with their physical looks which impacts their lives greatly. Meghan is litterally a hippo but feels invisible at school while Aimee is an anorexic seems empty and lost in the world of poetry. Although they seem like complete opposites at first sight, it seems like on the inside they are both quite similar. Meghan seems like she sees something more in Aimee but what will it take for her to really take action?

On page 15 when Meghan is in the nurses office and hears a girl at the door speaking to the nurse, she describes Aimee’s voice: “Thin as paper but sharp as a paper cut.” This line really stuck in my head and didn’t make much sense until I really got to know Aimee. Although she is incredibly thin and may seem weak on the outside, on the inside she holds much more. It’s as if someone else holds a blade that is carving out her insides and damaging her body in this way to say what she cannot….

I hope Meghan will do something more than just see the blade and move on which is probably what fires me up most in the world—people who see things going wrong and just keep going. Even I get mad at myself sometimes for seeing something and not doing anything about it because it’s just easier to ignore. BUt what if Meghan ignored the fact that Aimee was being hurt and waited for the day Aimee’s anorexia takes over and she dies to regret ever putting her step forward? By then it would be too late anyway. Maybe if you see bullying going on you or enough people will take action….but what if it’s something small? What if this seemingly tiny, innocent person is being hurt by a blade that is hidden inside of them that it’s out of control? I believe that it’s these little things within a small person hiding that cause the most damage. Not only are these little things hard to find, but they’re even more difficult to help someone else overcome.

Leave a comment if you have ever seen something happen and didn’t do anything about it because it would just be easier but then regreted it afterwards or if you have any questions, please feel free!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I read a book once about this girl who used to be friends with this other girl but is now friends with this mean girl who bullies the other girl, and the main girl sees it all happening and doesn't do anything. But the other side to not doing anything is that you know how wrong you are and you feel it in your gut. Amazing blog post Sophie! Maybe if people stood up for other people more than people would maybe think twice before bullying other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so first you really made me want to read this book. But also, i think that Meghan seems like a really complicated character. But also, as much as she might regret not saying anything, I don't think that can completely be her fault. I think tat this is because often, when you stand up for whats right, a lot of people will end up against you, and as a teenage girl, you feel so much pressure to do anything to have people like you, so I understand her. Also, people now are so judgemental about weight that I think she really must feel extra pressure to want to fir in completely. Also, I wonder if Aimee would even want to have her help, and I would like to know if if Mahgan offers it, would Aimee get mad or be thankful? Or maybe even embarrassed?

    ReplyDelete